Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mixed Feelings

I started reading a "fluff" book over Thanksgiving break. Other than Pratchett, I haven't had time for a lot of light reading lately, and--honestly--if everything I read made me examine the depths of my brain, I might go off the deep end. For this, I'm enjoying myself. On other levels, not so much.
This book I'm reading (Outlander by Diana Gabaldon) has strong characters and strong writing, great sense of setting, but holy stodgy plotting and no editing Batman! I can't really stop reading because its a well-constructed book, and when Gabaldon does get to the plotty bits, I'm really sucked in. However, there's a mountain of filler which amounts to:

Hero: I want you.
Heroine: I want you more.
Hero: You couldn't possibly.
Heroine: Wanna bet?
Hero: Let's find a [haystack, barn, pile of leaves, stream, bed if we're feeling civilized] right this very moment, rest of the world be damned.
Heroine: Oh you manly hunk of manmeat, you!
Scotland: I'm even prettier than both of you, so shut up and include me as a third partner.

(Gonna read the rest of it over a Friday night with some strong alcohol and see how trashed I get if I drink every time they boink or Scotland is awesome.)

One would think that a man outlawed, who has a whole lot of issues with a certain gentleman of the English army, whose uncles may or may not want him out of the way would be feeling a little more pressure to either get himself out of the country (I hear America was really nice in the late 18th century) or resolve things in court. He's got the potential favor of another English gentleman (who incidentally tried to prod his bum with something hard and heavy when the hero was just a "wee laddie"...but that's sometimes the best sort of favor to have, right? right.) His uncle's solicitor seems to like him. There are several ways we could be wrapping this up....or at least start in on some Jacobite uprising and start slaying people, so he winds up lord of the manor 'cause his uncles die heroically at Culloden, etc etc. Something's gotta give. Gabaldon's set up about six potentially interesting conflicts, but she's acting on none of them.

I've read romance novels; I've read historical fiction with a romantic component. I write gritty (realistic?) fantasy with a romantic component. I kinda dig on that sort of thing in my books apparently, but it's a matter of balance!

In a romance, there may be other external conflict, but the main conflict/question to be resolved is "will they get together"? That works for me. I'm not going to hate on it.

In the books I most often read, the conflict often goes: There is Political Unrest. Normal Person (and Friends) is sucked into said Political Unrest. There is growing. There are consequences. People die, people love, people betray, etc. The world may or may not be saved, but the ride was worth it somehow.

This book is neither one or the other so far. It resolved the romantic tension too early, so it can't be a romance. It's not hitting up any of the possible political conflicts, much to my great annoyance. There are so many good characters on the fringes with plottings going on. I want to SEE them! (Difficult when the story is first person, I know, but there are ways damnit.)

I completely understand how difficult it is to drag out a love interest for a whole book and not resolve it. As a writer, I often want to get to the juicy bits. Also, as a writer, I'd love to spend all kinds of time with my characters frolicking through fields and having nice days, but ah, I know that I should give these scenes purpose if they're going to there. You can't just hang out with your characters. That is the difference between the novel and real life.
I sit at my desk and yammer at people pointlessly all day and it's not world-altering, I know that, but in a book, the moments you can write like that are (or should be) VERY limited. Give your readers a few warm fuzzy scenes if you like, but don't give in to the temptation to write their most minute interactions just because you LOVE them.

I don't know that I'm always successful at this, but I'm aware of it. For example: I send Rak on a sleigh ride with a crowd of his "friends". This could all be picturesque "dashing through the snow" and singing and mulled wine, but it's not.
I use it to finally throw out some background on some monsters we'll run into later. I introduce a personality conflict that will grow into a political conflict, and also introduce a character for the readers to wonder about. (Is he sinister? Is he just a jackass?)

Really, this was a very long ramble to proclaim: Write with purpose people! Make us as fond of your characters as you are, and we may not mind a few pages of lovefest here and there. Make your stories full of action, and the moments of calm will be that much more appreciated!

Thank you and good night. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment